Search This Blog

Saturday, June 25, 2022

Gandhi, and, Bhowani Junction

I did see that movie Gandhi then in 1982 but I just reviewd again on computer today
I want to make some comments related to how it was made and who made it etc.
   National Film Developement of India paid, 10, Million Dollars (1980) and PM Nehru or his rep approved it. (Indian Government approved and supported it fully). I have respects for R. Attenborough as a film maker but in this movie his feelings against Mr. Jinnah and Pakistan are quite evident, of course the writer Mr John Briley is to be blamed for it. (No wonder Indian Goernment approved and financially supported it) Then on top of of it we see the person playing the Jinnah role , a novice, they found is non-filmy fellow who was given this role Mr. Padamsee, more of an advertising authority and a theater man rather than a screen actor (This is the only film he acted in) Seeing his personal life, he was from a well-known wealthy Khoja (Muslim) family though he himself was more of an atheist.
 As compared to an Earlier Hollywood flick, Bhowani Junction that was not allowed by the Indian Government to be filmed on location. (I find nothing anti-Indian in the movie) The film-makers decided to seek Pakistanies for filming and they happily agreed. It was filmed in Lahore (including Railway station and trains etc. (I saw it was on Platform number 4 and once I was passing by the station and saw a crowd standing so I got of my bicycle and peeped in Sure enough there was Mr  Stewart Grainger himself standing in the middle, a handsome tall fellow. They (hollywood bunch) were accomodated in Fletties hotel and probably AC ed because it was summer of 1956. Once we were in Lawrence Garden roaming around and saw Ava Gardner along with Bill Travers under a tree and Zaheer quickly got a book out and ran to that tree, " Miss Ava, please your autograph" 



Please visit my Urdu blog at خیالات و احساسات

No comments: