Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

The night of Power

Generally Qadar is translated as power but it does not seem adequate or proper to me Power is Qudrat of Allah so that may be  the reason but then it needs to be specified "Power of Allah"
 How ever it is more a ' fate'  type of meaning as the contents of the sura Qadr seem to indicate  and also delineated in the first few ayaat of Sura Dukhan (and it should not be confused with Night of Middle of Sha'ban (Shubraat).
 Although it can be any odd night in the last Ashara (ten days) of Ramadan but usually  Muslims make it on the 27th night (this year it will be the night between Friday and Saturday- 31 May and June 1) Many Muslims will spend the night in prayers and recitation of Quran and asking forgiveness from Allah for all sins  Muslims do extra night prayers during this third Ashara anyway. I had learned only Taraweeh prayers all my life and I became aware of Qiyamullail (Before sahar time) only since 1997 when I sat for first aitikaaf of my life. I had heard of some masajid in Pakistan doing all night recitation in taraweeh prayers every night but I never attended such Masjid so I never knew about Qiyamullail) Of course I experienced it more during my Umera in Ramzan in 2000 ( or 2001). My hearing was till within working limits so I remember enjoying Qur'an recitation both in Masjid Nabawi and masjid-al-Haram. I will never forget listening to later part of Sura Tawba standing in Masjid Nabawi and feeling the Sahabis who had chained themselves in the Masjid until Allah revealed these ayaat of pardoning them. It was a profound experience.
 Now a days everybody can see taraweeh prayers in the Haram  and Masjid Nabawi on our TVs


Please visit my Urdu blog at خیالات و احساسات

4 comments:

zindagi ki diary said...

Uncle: I don't anything about this part of history: "Sahabis who had chained themselves in the Masjid until Allah revealed these ayaat of pardoning them.".

Please tell us and write a blog on it.

bsc said...

It was all about the "Tabook"affair. The prophet SAWS called for all going for possible battle. The days were hot some people genuinely did not have enough to volunteer In sura Tawba (9th) there are many groups of people described who did not go with the prophet and so when the forces returned after the expedition without actual fight all kinds of people were offering their excuses But some who were genuine Muslims and were unable to accompany told him they were pure lazy and missed accompanying Abu Lubab RA felt he would only feel has been pardoned if Rasoolullah SAWS himself would unchain him So when Quran helped the pardon he was freed Three Sahaba (Cant remember the names (all tafsirs will give you) were close the prophet and had remained behind without excuse were not pardoned by the prophet for another few days until Quran clearly said Allah has pardoned the three also
That is just brief background which I had remembered so when I heard the recitation of these ayaat with myself standing not far from the place where Abu Lubaba RA must have chained himself, it was obviously overwhelming

mystic-soul said...

Interesting. Thank you!!!

bsc said...

Correction that was my Umera in Ramzan 2003