Search This Blog

Sunday, February 03, 2019

Minstrels

Newly arrived in England watching TV enthusiastically as I had not seen TV in Pakistan. So I watched all kinds of programs (1961-62) and tried to enjoy music and drama shows Because of my heavy involvement with Eastern classical and filmi (Bollywood) music it was not easy for me to familiarize myself with the Western music but some songs would appeal to me such as "living doll" or "you were made for me" and I remember liking Cliff Richard as a pop singer (before the Beatles came, and "she loves you yeah yeah)
 A common popular program of Minstrels show of music etc." was one I did not enjoy not only because of my poor relationship with the western music but also with the horribly distasteful appearance of white men blackening their faces. I have learned now more about what Minstrel means and am so glad the program went out  because of racial discriminatory influences (Why could they not see it before). All this has been brought to my memory because of that Virginia Governor, Ralph Northam. He was seen in the news  about why he blackened his face etc. but to me the blackening of face also carried its Urdu meaning
 However it shows the human weakness of color prejudice that has always been present in national and international dealings. Obama winning was a definite step forward and the news of all the Democratic wananbees seem to be a good discussion. This is all inspite of this being a Trump country


Please visit my Urdu blog at خیالات و احساسات

No comments: