Search This Blog

Thursday, January 24, 2019

50 years on in the USA


Also see my blog of May 2nd , 2016

Yes 50 years ago today I came to US from London on Panam (some of you might remember that airline). Due to bad weather flight (TWA) to Cincinnati was cancelled and I got stranded. Now,  I did not know what to do so I called up the hospital in Cincinnati and they said I wait till I get the flight the next day and let them know so somebody will come to the airport to pick me up (and that is what happened). As I put the telephone down tun tunon tunonunon the coins I had put in came down also (did not stay to find out why the coins were returned--how did the telephone guessed I did not have too much money in my pocket but I thought it was nice of the machine).
 Meanwhile, just imagine - four flights cancelled on this busy JFK. There were people yelling and running around the hustle and bustle of angry people (Americans, I thought) with ques everywhere. I was scared to ask from anybody but got into a line for booking a room in a hotel and fortunately some people asked me to join them and we got a room in Holiday Inn. Me being aware of having only 35 dollars in my pocket was relieved to find the charge was only 18 dollars. Anyway I got a taxi to the Holiday Inn as I left the taxi and started to my room I realized I forgot my camera in the taxi. I hurried back to the front and found my Taxi Driver waiting for me (An African American Gentleman) I thanked him profusely like a good 'Englishman' (I had spent 7 plus years in England)
  The following day I got to Drake Memorial Hospital and they gave me a room--- settled for the job. It was Saturday so I had to join from Monday 27th Jan.
 You might be surprised but I wrote a complaint to the airlines that because of their cancelling I lost three days of pay and I should be compensated but they replied in the negative (weather was the fault and not the airlines fault).
What you see in this image from left to right;

The one-way ticket London-New York-Cincinnati. Next is the receipt of the Holiday Inn and the picture of that Holiday inn and last extreme right the disembarkation card I filled out before landing at JFK. You wonder how I remember all these things but that is my hobby and I had written in Urdu my experience (and of course many other episodes of significance in my life) I guess now I can throw away these unnecessary memorablia

No comments: