Search This Blog

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Sunday Surkhi--Accountability of Nurses?

There were quite a few letters and opinions, very valuable in today's paper. One was "nurse's accountability" which reminded me of something different.
I was a new 'doctor' and our routine was going round in the evening to see every patient and nurses would jot down the orders I will give orally in her book and carry them out afterwards. Now I was about to discharge a patient who had recovered from a viral pneumonia and was off all medications but when I came to his bed in the evening I found he had rise of temp.
I was perplexed as he had no reason to have a temp. after he had successfully recovered from his illness. While in that state of confusion I was discussing with my colleague as to why such fever should come back and the patient timidly said , "Sir may I talk with you about it?" O sure what is the matter, I said
"Sir, I was given the injection by the nurse that you had ordered for the next door patient". That was correct, I did order a TAB injection (Pyretogenic, for therapeutic purposes only).
Then he told me that he objected to the nurse giving him injection but she said she knows better, so I had to keep quiet.
he was athorough gentleman and very soft spoken. The nurse apologized, but we laughed and laughed about it later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I work in Hospital and medication error / wrong drip / doses / mishandling by nurses is the biggest threat.

Every day, there is a single episode where drip run out very quickly !!!

bsc said...

Yes, I wrote the incidence of my House physician's experience 1958 in Lahore, but I agree there are all these dangers even though there is written and computerised system of records now in the hospitals. Usually from incometent individuals
Leaving this question apart, My feeling has been that although the British nurses were also (more) poorly paid, they tended to be more dedicated to nursing profession than the American Equivalents. I worked for several years in England before coming to USA.