Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 04, 2018

Marriage and aadat (Habituation)

     No matter how nikah/marriage has been performed in one day it results in a life-long companionship of two essentially strangers man and a woman (restricting my comments) and whether they live happily or not so happily makes no difference as long as they do not separate or get divorced.
 So if we  talk about longer lasting companionships say for example 15  or 20 or more years these two individuals get used to living with each others habits of all kinds. How one sleeps, how one eats how one reacts with happiness and how with sorrow, how one develops reading attitudes and all those mundane acts of every day life. Each one makes adjustments to create space for the other with mutual understanding with or without argumentation (Does anybody remember an old Hollywood movie  -- Period of adjustment -- ?)
  Recently I found that question of somewhat longer wedding conditions in which the two frequently argued or showed dislike etc and yet on suggestion of separation the fellow says
 now I have become used to her aadat (not leaving) --See Mystic
 I frequently dubbed it as "addiction"
 When you are addicted to your wife/husband you just cannot think of separation or divorce

Please visit my Urdu blog at خیالات و احساسات

3 comments:

mystic-soul said...

Uncle: I liked your word "habituation"
I guess I need to find that movie - 'Period of Adjustment'

bsc said...

Starring Jane Fonda and Tim Hutton
Hilarious comedy indeed worth your while
Please look up for it and enjoy

bsc said...

Interesting date for me 4th of December as it carries some personal painful feelings along with the subject material of wedding
I found this note today as I was looking for it to see what I was thinking about
I had written Habituationn as Mystic had suggested to me to say something about it