Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The Texas Floods

This certainly is a major disaster that Harvey  (Hurricane name)has thrown to Texas and other coastal areas of southern US.Allah rehm karay. Thes remind me of my own experiences at home
 I remember two floods of Pakistan (Lahore) One reason is that first time northern areas and Panjab in Pakistan was affected by floods was about a similar time in 1948. Pakistan was new and yes monsoons are well known in India and Pakistan  As the rains flooded Ravi and it over flowed  and  Chenab did the same so there was so much flood. I heard in the media that the origins of all these rivers lie in India so they had the ability to divert excessive waters of these major rivers toward Pakistan in order to save their own lands from flooding
 My father marhoom had traveled during this time from Lahore to our village Kotla and had to walk some distances (buses exchanging passengers) in water and saw misery of people suffering and I remember him making a speech at Baqar Eid to the villagers to donate skins of sacrifices of Eid for helping such suffering families and that happened all over Pakistan the proceeds from selling of these skins helped raise funds for the affected people
 The second floods I remember was of 1952 and when I went to Lahore (for admission to Medical College) I saw waters of floods near The Mall near GPO. I wrote the whole story how I had to travel as no buses or such transports were running from my village  to Lahore so I had to go to RawalPindi and take a Pak Air force (frieghter) flight to Lahore (My classmate in school days Mian Mohammad Sadique,who was in Air force had arranged it for me). I was in time for the admission interview



Please visit my Urdu blog at خیالات و احساسات

No comments: