Search This Blog

Monday, April 20, 2009

Sunday Surkhi, Taseer

I just got lazy folks
As I was talkling about Inaam I mentioned about the Principal of Islamia college Lahore, Dr. M D Taseer
That reminds me of Mr. Salman Taseer the Governer of Panjab and all the surkhis I have been reading about him. Only a couple of years ago I heard about him that--- Salman Taseer kay liyay ham sandwitch Dubai say bheja jata hay. I dont know how correct it is because I used to hear the same about the late General Ziaul Haq that in the white house they serve hin ham sandwitch and he eats with relish.
This year a whole lot of Salman is in the news like when Sri Lanka Cricket Team was attacked in Lahore and some other Panjab Political events etc.
I dont know him but if he is the son of MD Taseer I was impressed with his father as a teacher. I want to place before you my memorable encounters with the late Dr. Mohammad Din Taseer.
My brother took me to Islamia college for admission after my high school. I was very poorly educated in the village and knew very little of city dwellers and their sophistication. I was hardly 4 ft. 10 or 11 inches and weighed may be 76 lbs (age14- I think my pubertal growth had been delayed by my 'friend' Ankylostoma Duodenale, see my note on Jan 10, 2009) I went into the office of the Principal who greeted me smilingly and encouraged me by saying
"yeh to kursi peh baitha hua mujhay nazar bhi nahin aata" He was of the opinion, enen tough I was a shorty I was good enouh for admission to first year in his college and I came out smiling. mera aik pao khoon baRh giya tha.
There was an Urdu debate in the college the topic was
"hind kay shaair-o-soorat ger-o-afsana nawees
Ah becharoN kay a'saab peh áwrat hay sawaar"
Allama Iqbal's lament that Indian poets artists and story writers are too much occupied with woman. (forgive me for doing a better job of translation.)
Any way Of course Dr Taseer was there and among the Judges was one woman "Bagum Salma Tasadduq Hussain"
Many speakers came with arguments in favor and against the proposition but one speaker actually mentioned some advances made by a poet so much so that he named his beloved in his poems, Akhter Sheerani and he actually quoted some verses.
I cannot be absolutely sure but we knew that Akhter Sheerani had named "Salma" in his verses and we were under the impression that his "Salma" was no other than Salma Tasadduq Hussain who was at that time in a very high Governemnt Office probably "naib Wazeer".
Wow.
Sure enough Bagum Tasadduq Hussain was furious (laal peeli) and got out of the college quick
Hall per sannata chha giya. Then it was the brilliance of Dr. Taseer and his-- shagufta goiy aur shusta bayani jis nay saree mehfil main phir say aman ka daur daura qaaim ker diya. He had a God-given gift of using his Urdu as well as distinguished English language to create a smile and laugh in any gathering.
We had lost our regular English professor because Prof. Mahmood Hashmi joined some other job so replacement teachers were trying to teach my class and my classmates were "bored" with Prof. Kamali, so they started teasing him. One day when he was teaching, somebody stared knocking his pencil or pen under the desk. For some reason many more joined the act and Prof. Kamali-- kamal phurti say class say baher nikal gayay.
Next day we had the pleasure of Dr. Taseer himslf teaching us English poetry and I still remember the poem:
"A red red rose" so well, he spent the whole hour on it.
No student had any chance of doing anything Dr. Taseer being a poet himself explained each and every word and why and how it was used the whole class was charmed into complete silence.
I joined Governement College for my third year and one day was walking from Anarkali to my hostel (New Hostel) when around 8pm I saw Dr. Taseer walking in front of Panjab University. Next day there was a Surkhi telling us Dr. Taseer died of heart attack.
Yes he was a poet like Faiz but may not be that caliber. the wives of both poets were English and they were sisters, if I remember. One of the most well-known she'r of Taseer
"dawer-e-Hashr mera Naama-e-ámaal na poochh
iss main kuchh perda nasheenoN kay bhi naam aatay hain"
(O King of the doomsday gathering, do not ask me about my 'record of deeds'
for it contains names of some veiled persons-- stay home women)
Forgive me, I do not do a good job at translations.

1 comment:

mystic said...

Indeed a read.....