Search This Blog

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Inaam-my friend

I went to Nowshera and by chance knocked at a door to find this friend, a very pleasant surprise of my life that I mentioned before in a blog.
Talking about "Soodi", I mentioned his name but I realized I had not written much about Inaam before, so I decided to give a brief note here.
He was in Pakistan Army Dental corps and we would sit and talk about the life and its difficulties and how to get over them while his "ardali" (Orderly) served us tea and biscuits etc.
When I joined Islamia College (Railway Road) Lahore, Dr. M.D. Taseer was the principal (Will write about him some time later). I was hardly 5 ft. 3 inch and weighed less than 80 lbs, so most of the "shorties" were my friends as in the morning PT class we would be lined up according to height.
I had spent 4 years in a village (where I learnt it), so my Punjabi was hard and "Thaith" that did not make an impression on slightly more sophisticated softer "City Language"of Lahore. Inaam was however a very kind-hearted soft spoken sweet person who became friends with me in a short time. We were all taking the same subjects. Inaam's uncle was a homeopathic doctor on Mayo (Allama Iqbal) road and was very successful. His cousins also got friendly with me as we all played Badminton in the afternoons.
I was short of age by 4 months and also did not get enough marks for admission to KE medical college that year so I joined BSc class from Government college and Inaam got into Dental.
He joined Army after graduating from Dental College and was Capt. in the Army when I went to Peshawar medical college as senior lecturer in Physiology after my graduation from KE Medical college. Since he was posted in Nowshera we frequently saw eachother. His family were looking for a match for him but there was a girl who got interested in him. She met him through Peshawar Officers club. She was married to the club canteen owner or something like that. She was much younger than her husband (who may be 40-42 while she was 20-22). That explained her interest in younger officers.
It so happened I got to know that husband through another friend. Things were getting serious when Inaam told me he likes her but he cannot go against the family (His father was an English teacher and very conservative) who had found somebody for Inaam in another city and "baat pakki ho gaiyee thee". He did not have the guts to tell the girl that he cant marry her. Muhabbat itnee pakki nahin thee. During this time her husband had also come to know of the "affair" and was respectful with me and Inaam. So one day I told him before he would come back from work, I would go and talk to his wife about Inaam's inability to marry her. I had never seen her but I went to their house and talked with her that she has a loving and caring husband, and should stick with him even though he is older,and forget about Inaam. When I left the house I saw her husband walking in. It was all in good faith.
A few days later I got an annonymous letter from her friend accusing me of all kind of unworthy character etc. I never wrote any answer. All went well and I kept my aquaintance with her husband, for Peshawar Officers club had an active dramatic club with their music director who was known to me and who, in fact helped me in providing musicians for Peshawar Medical College Music functions (requires separate story).
Inaam got transfered to Karachi while preparations for his marriage were going on. While in Karachi I visited him during the time I was getting "No Objection Certificate" from the Pakistan Government as I was palnning to go to England. He helped me there and I still have his letter that accompanied the official "NOC". He got married, had one child, left Army and was practicing Dental surgery for a while in LAHORE. His letters got disturbing as he was not sleeping well. Apparantly his inlaws had maltreated his family and he was disappointed from the whole life with that wife and child. He was mentally disturbed but did not communicate with me.
Next I get a letter from his father that he took an over dose and killed himself in his clinic.
Inna Lillahi wa inna ilaihi Raajeoon.
I was very upset but could not do anything. I had never at any time during my relationship with him found any syptoms of depression . He was a happy man before his marriage.
I do not know what forced him to that terrible action, circumstances alone or that he was indeed depressed that severly. I did not foresee because I had never found him depressed and he always communicated with me until his marriage. It was because of his intimate relationship with me that his father thought of informing me.
Life can be cruel some times.

4 comments:

mystic said...

Alas...!!!!

I had ditto experience with my friend Ahsan Ali...Did you ever read my posts on him...? (see my post july 25, 2007)

U took my breath away with this story

mystic said...

Write something about "Bud-dua" or curse please....

bsc said...

Yes I did read it and in fact thats when I thought I 'll write about Inaam
I dont know what "bud-dua" plays here and I am not sure whether in case of Inaam there was any but sure Allah listens to dua of anybody who makes it with
sidq-e-dil
as long as it is NOT for haraam or for Qatá Rahmi.
Now if you have been unjust to someone even without buddua, Allah may decide to give some injustice during your life which may save you from its punishment in the hereafter for He is "Ádl" The question of "huqooq-ul-Íbad" is such that the person who has met injustice from your hand must forgive you because Allah will not forgive until that person forgives.
During my Umrah this time I specaily made dua that those huqooq that persons have on me I beseeched Allah to becoming Kafeel for me on those.

mystic said...

thanks...