Search This Blog

Friday, December 12, 2008

Jumáh Journal-Decision of God and the prophet

Sometimes we get carried away, in our limited "wisdom"that God has graced us with and encroach upon what has been decided by God or his apostle.
Like, "what is the need to slaughter three million animals now, for there is enough meat in S. Arabia, etc. etc.
Or "What? Allah has allowed Muslim men to marry Christian or Jewish women but has not allowed Muslim women to marry a Christain or a Jew?"
Or "what is the need for praying five times a day, why cant I pray just morning or at bed time all the prayers prescribed"
"Or ........... and there are many "objections"voiced by Muslims, without much knowledge.
It always worries me because "are we offering some advice" to God?
Do we consider our own opinion better than His (who created us and made some rules for us to live by?)
Speaking of myself as a physician working in some hospital I did have questions about why should I write this way, history of my patient or some other "rules" of the hospital that I did not consider "right" or necessary.
Did I not follow the rules? Oh no! I did follow and to the last detail., Nobody asked my opinion.
I did not venture to offer my opinions.
How then can I have the audacity of freely voicing complaint about God's decision; Crossing wits with my Creator?
Sura al-Ahzab 33rd sura, aya 36:
"It is not fitting for a believer man or a woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His apostle, to HAVE ANY OPTION about their decision. If anyone disobeys Allah and His apostle he is indeed on a clear wrong path".

I think we should be very careful about such "opinions" when trying to be "'progressive" or "modern" or "moderate"; just a word of caution.
Incidentally, 33rd sura is one of my fav. and it lays down many rules which distinguish the personality of the prophet (SAWS)from ordinary Muslims among other statements.

No comments: