Search This Blog

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Power of Psyche-Human Experience

"Man is a social animal", we all know that. deprivation of social contact is a known "punishment" or "torture method" used in today's "correctional centers" when someone misbehaves, the warden will put him in "Solitary confinement" or in a "hole".
When a human child is born, he/she will require total care by the mother father and others and you are all very much aware of how psychology today teaches us about these early periods of development of the child along with physical mental and social developments. ( Harry Harlow experiments on mother deprivation of infant Monkeys and effects of surrogate mothers etc. - In particular "the mothers do much more than feeding the baby)
 Emotional and physical attachment of the child with parents or "Parent-figures" is of profound importance in the child development. Just see below, such 'deprivation' and its powerful effect.
I am not a psychologist but I guess every physician is bound to experience some psychologic problems in patients he deals with regardless of his specialty.
She was admitted in my Pediatric ward with "Failure to thrive" diagnosis or something like that. Chronologically she was aged 5 but physically and mentally she was way behind, coming up to about three years of age (weight, and height etc. was of 3 yr. old)
She had 'downy hair' all over her body, not emaciated but looking poorly developed. She would sit all day expressionless and look "lost", not pay any attention, not eat very much, like she was withdrawn, not unlike we see in adults the picture of severe depression.
She had no parents and was up for adoption.
I dont remember the history, who were her parents, when and how (or why) did they ended up "abandoning" her etc. but what a horrible picture of effects of parental deprivation
It was a small hospital and I started paying attention to her , trying to talk to her, play with her on a daily basis (Spending more time with her than with others). Within a week she started responding and nurses told me she has started calling me "daddy", was speaking normal and started eating regular. Her rapid visible physical and social emotional recovery were just amazing and the skin became normal in texture and hair growth. I enjoyed playing and laughing with her, seeing the little girl's happiness was so much of a reward for me (although I did not choose pediatrics as my specialty).
The nurse showed me the chart of her physical growth, I could not believe.
I dont remember what medications if any were given but I do vividly remember her progress as everybody else in the hospital appreciated that. It all started with the new "daddy", yes I enjoyed being addressed by her everyday as "daddy" (How much meaningful it was for that little girl, I cant imagine, but I know how I felt,--- "elated")
She was "adopted" after one month and she must have found a new "daddy" and "Mum". I have never forgotten that extraordinary experience as a young physician.

4 comments:

Ayesha said...

i remember you telling me this story for the first time! it always stayed with me... what an incredible experience. it's a heartbreaking story to imagine what her early childhood was like, but after becoming a parent even more so.. one shies away from even imagining one's own child suffering like that... may Allah keep all our children safe from harm and neglect, always.

bsc said...

Aameen baitee
Yes I have had some exciting and some useful experiences related to my propfessional life and I think those that touch out hearts should be shared with others. It is under this feeling I write these.

chaudharyayaz said...

Offcourse may Allah keep childern of every one in safe hands. because childern are more sensitive and more adoptive.Really commendable effort

Anonymous said...

WOW !!!

I am speechless..