Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"Mirgee" in my school

It was hot and humid morning when we all started the "Dua".
D. B. (District Board) Midle school Kakrali was about a mile from my village and for miles and miles around there was no other school of that standard so many boys would walk for two three or more miles every morning to the school. We were only one mile away, lucky.
Groups of students would take the ways "Pugdandi" to Kakrali laughing Joking and keeping the pace with our 'satchles' (Bags or just a piece of sturdy cloth containg books, all tied up) either on heads or on the arms/shoulders.
Might as well tell you some jokes that were popular with us
"O! My master come come come
Goday goday Water meinh chhum chhum
Sir per Basta gir parray hum
Es liyay fidwi did not come."
This one with more Punjabi in it
"I am nay chori keetay punj satt gannay
Farmer nay ask keeta why did you phannay
I am nay jawab ditta, O dear Kisan
Punjan Sattan Ganniyan nal what is your nuqsan"
Well as I said we all stood according to classes in a U-Shaped manner and the two students facing us standing in the middle started the "Dua" (Hymn)
" Kaun-o-makan main dekhi jalwa numai teri
Tabay hay teray maula sari khudai teri.
................."
My class (eighth) was located in the center of the U I remember clearly on that humid sunny morning. Herbans Lal, my classmate coming from Subaur (about two miles) got late but we were still standing in Dua so he joined in my line. Then all of a sudden he screamed and fell to the ground. All students and teachers watching and trying to help him (without any knowledge) with horror and sympathy.
I saw his face, it turned bluish, twitching to one side and he was convulsing.
"Mirgee ay" (Epileptic attack) was the prompt diagnosis and the treatment
"Jutti sunghao onnhuN" (Let him smell a shoe) and sure enough the sole of a shoe was placed near his nose by somebody. (expecting a cure!!)
He got up after a while (short post epileptic stupor with tongue bitten and small amount of saliva at the corner of his mouth), dazed, what happened to him. He was a quiet person any way,
was sent back home by the master for that day.
I dont remember what happened after that for the poor fellow.
That was the very first epileptic attack I had witnessed. Little did I know that I will be seeing so many in the rest of my life (I had no idea at that time what neurology was or that I was to adopt that specialty in my future life) but that attack is still vivid in my memory.

4 comments:

mystic-soul said...

Interesting....

First time when I saw "jutti sunghao" to a man who developed mirgee on road, I get afraid. I think I was only 7. Somehow that episode is so vivid in my head despite all many years...

Ayesha said...

abbuji, the clarity of your early memories will never cease to amaze me... :)

oakleyses said...

burberry outlet online, christian louboutin outlet, oakley vault, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet online, kate spade handbags, burberry outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton handbags, nike free, tiffany jewelry, kate spade outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, red bottom shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet online, polo ralph lauren, christian louboutin shoes, prada outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet store, michael kors outlet, gucci handbags, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, longchamp outlet, nike air max, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, polo ralph lauren outlet, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, coach outlet store online, jordan shoes, coach outlet, chanel handbags, coach purses, nike shoes, oakley sunglasses, true religion, ray ban outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet, longchamp handbags

oakleyses said...

hollister clothing, air max, wedding dress, baseball bats, vans, pandora uk, ralph lauren, moncler, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, supra shoes, ray ban, swarovski jewelry, toms outlet, canada goose pas cher, timberland shoes, converse shoes, ugg, hollister canada, links of london uk, moncler, karen millen, moncler, hollister, nike air max, montre femme, canada goose uk, canada goose, uggs canada, converse, oakley, moncler, moncler, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton canada, coach outlet, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, gucci, replica watches, moncler, parajumpers outlet, lancel, swarovski uk, iphone 6 case, louboutin, thomas sabo uk, canada goose