Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Neuro exam

In my neurologic examination I have to use a name and address given to the patient and ask him to remember that for five minutes when I check his memory. (how much he recalls)
So I gave my old address and the name of Richard Greenberg.
Mr. Greenberg was a patient of Myasthenia Gravis during my residency who died in a crisis situation and I was very upset and disturbed by that loss. Somehow you cannot save all the patients you want to save as a physician. (In this case there were more effective therapeutic interventions that became available later, alas too late for Mr. Greenberg.)
Well, many of the physicians also check orientation and alertness of the patient as part of general physical examination (Those of you who are physicians know what I am talking about).
Remember those days of:
"She loves you, yeah yeah yeah" and
"I want to hold your hand"
Beatles were known and loved all over the world.
I used to ask patients (I was in England then)
"Give me the first names of the beatles" and sure enough if the patient was alert would come right out " John, Paul, George and Ringo". The diagnosis of confusion was sure if that did not happen.
You all know neuro exam is funny anyhow. Just ask a person who has undergone neuro exam from a doctor who wanted to make sure about the "BABINSKI'S SIGN" (Scratching the sole with a pointed object from outer side of heel and foot to the ball of the big toe in an inverted "L" shape.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One time, as a resident, I asked a patient: "show me your finger". He showed me his middle finger with grin on his face !!!

Another time, I asked: "who is president of united states". Patient replied: "yours is bill clinton, mine id ronald reagan". He was very oriented.

bsc said...

Yes sometimes the patient has his own pun to make you smile.. In this regard I must tell you, I was examining chest one day and asking the patient to say 99. After a while he said,
Doctor, when are you going to ask me to say 100?

oakleyses said...

abercrombie and fitch, ugg boots, mont blanc pens, rolex watches, hollister, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, jimmy choo shoes, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, chi flat iron, herve leger, uggs on sale, celine handbags, north face outlet, nike huarache, ugg outlet, ugg soldes, birkin bag, new balance outlet, lululemon outlet, p90x workout, wedding dresses, asics shoes, roshe run, canada goose outlet, longchamp, ugg, valentino shoes, vans outlet, marc jacobs outlet, bottega veneta, north face jackets, canada goose outlet, nfl jerseys, ghd, canada goose, mac cosmetics, babyliss pro, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, giuseppe zanotti, beats headphones, soccer shoes, nike trainers, reebok shoes

oakleyses said...

hollister, wedding dress, toms outlet, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, louis vuitton canada, canada goose, hollister clothing, swarovski uk, ralph lauren, karen millen, ugg, hollister canada, juicy couture outlet, gucci, moncler outlet, canada goose pas cher, air max, coach outlet, louboutin, canada goose uk, converse shoes, pandora uk, supra shoes, converse, swarovski jewelry, moncler, timberland shoes, lancel, replica watches, baseball bats, parajumpers outlet, nike air max, thomas sabo uk, links of london uk, canada goose, uggs canada, moncler, oakley, vans, moncler, iphone 6 case, ray ban, moncler, moncler, pandora jewelry, montre femme, moncler