Search This Blog

Friday, June 06, 2008

Jum'ah Journal--Second mother

My wife was expecting and I needed an experienced lady who could be of help for the new baby etc. so we found Mary. (her real name BTW and hope she will forgive me as she is such a forgiving lady always.)
Not knowing how she will do in handling the baby we could not 'trust' her although we had by the time our first baby was born were aware of her clean habits and meticulous care she would take in doing everything and was religiously punctual and totally dependable. So when Nancy and Nasim visited us she told (compaliningly) Nancy "these two doctors dont let me do anything with the baby and I am dying to hold that baby so much, can you tell them something please?"
Then we decided to entrust Our firstborn with her and she was soooo good that, in my wife's words, "I'll trust Mary more than I can trust you (father of the baby)"--- that is in case of baby handling etc.. Of course she became the second mother for my children.
It would be impossible for me to tell you about how remarkably she spent ten years with us when we had to move out of that town. We still miss her. My children respect her and love her like their own mother. We like to visit her every now and again. She is a diamond hidden in the mud. Needless to say we never found another "Mary" but that I knew very well we wont ever. How can there be another one like her.
She looked after us the way nobody can. From her meager wages, she would still give in charity. She would never speak ill of others. Hassan told her with the typical childhood confidence and the reassuring tone, "Mary why dont you become a Muslim you will go to Paradise".
You see, Mary is a good Christian and this is equal to a" good Muslim" in the moral and upright behaviors.
Mary, my hats off to you.
Mary, I can never thank you enough from the bottom of my heart and will always pray for you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zindagi ki aik aur diary !!

bsc said...

Yes, she is definitely one of those unforgettable persons who have touched my life.
May be my children would add to my comments because I have , for the sake of brevity, said so little about her.

Ayesha said...

my very first memory, that i can recall, is actually one of mary, and oddly enough the only memory i have of her being upset with me (i was not yet 3 years old, and was playing with scissors apparently). other than that i actually don't have many specific memories of her, the way early childhood is... i just remember her being there for us, always, with kindness and humor and above all, love. it is hard now to think of her in a nursing home, and so far away...

JAG said...

abbuji used to say that Mary was Muslim in her mannerisms and in the way she lives her life. I never really understood what he meant as a child but now I do:

إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ وَٱلَّذِينَ هَادُواْ وَٱلنَّصَـٰرَىٰ وَٱلصَّـٰبِـِٔينَ مَنۡ ءَامَنَ بِٱللَّهِ وَٱلۡيَوۡمِ ٱلۡأَخِرِ وَعَمِلَ صَـٰلِحً۬ا فَلَهُمۡ أَجۡرُهُمۡ عِندَ رَبِّهِمۡ وَلَا خَوۡفٌ عَلَيۡہِمۡ وَلَا هُمۡ يَحۡزَنُونَ

Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabaeans - whoever believeth in Allah and the Last Day and doeth right - surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.

oakleyses said...

abercrombie and fitch, ugg boots, mont blanc pens, rolex watches, hollister, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, jimmy choo shoes, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, chi flat iron, herve leger, uggs on sale, celine handbags, north face outlet, nike huarache, ugg outlet, ugg soldes, birkin bag, new balance outlet, lululemon outlet, p90x workout, wedding dresses, asics shoes, roshe run, canada goose outlet, longchamp, ugg, valentino shoes, vans outlet, marc jacobs outlet, bottega veneta, north face jackets, canada goose outlet, nfl jerseys, ghd, canada goose, mac cosmetics, babyliss pro, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, giuseppe zanotti, beats headphones, soccer shoes, nike trainers, reebok shoes