Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Village Experiences of Childhood

  Living in Kotla during my 11- to-15 year age was full of observations that are still vivid in my memory
 I am stopping to write Urdu blog as I feel my followers have gradually dwindled along with infrequency of my writings (like I did for Hindi)
 Summer: 1) we would sleep in open on the roof (chhat-چھت) and sometimes the dust-storm will come and go, we will only cover up with bedsheet and in the morning wake up full of sand everywhere (Sandstorms are common in Punjab) If it is too strong and you want leave the roof you may go into a room but it is too hot in the closed room.
 2) Next I want o share my experience with growing chicks from (egg stage) being born up to fully grown chicken both Murgha  مرغا(Cock) and مرغی Murghi (Hen). The beautiful feathering of  the cock is quite contrasting (and very attractive) from hen especially at the neck and then the crest on top of the head (کلغی) is a most remarkable part of the beauty and varies in different varieties ( and I remember all those) Then also the crowing of the cock, so funny when the young one starts learning how to go from some initial funny sounds to full-fledged Cock-a-doodle-do (Cukkdoon-kudooooonککڑوں کڑھوں). Once we had a whole lot of these birds in our house for eggs etc. and yes I remember what a hen does before and after laying the eggs those cut cut sounds were so inviting for a curious child (me) The hen makes a declaration after laying the egg (loud kutkut kutaack کٹ کٹ کٹاک) So you can rush down to the place where she did it.
3) Many homes had one or more animals usually kept (bound to a peg or something) within the courtyard or just outside the house. For some time we acquired a Buffalo (for milk and lassi etc) and she had a baby (O yes I watched her being born and we called her Katti کٹّی-the Panjabi equivalent of female calf) which was my favourite (I had also had similar playing experience with a goat) I was  supposed to take her out and let her graze in the fields but the little one would run around jump around like any other child and I would enjoy that but she had a bad habit sometimes she would follow anybody and start going with him/her. One day while I was busy playing with other kids she disappeared. O boy there was problem we had to send somebody to other nearby villages, thank God she was found a couple of miles away. I hope you all know that in villages all the poops of these animals are used for (thaappay- تھاپے تھاپیاں dried up dung patties) fire and they burn very good too. On an average a Panjabi buffalo may produce milk  about 10-15 Gallons per day. So the unused milk of one day is curdled and churned to produce plenty of drink plus fresh butter, thats the routine



Please visit my Urdu blog at خیالات و احساسات

1 comment:

bsc said...

One experience I missed but wrote about it somewhere else
TOILET, may sound unworthy for writing but I am encouraged after seeing an Indian movie by that name. First time when I arrived in Village Kotla from Saugor I experienced going out in the fields for easing myself And yes everybody did that under a half hidden place There were plenty of fields for a small village but I remember what I had to do to hold it for a day when there was continued raining and I saw my sisters and mother (perdaydar khawateen) going out before Fajr or before dawn even in severe cold for this purpose. This movie reminded me of that and then I remembered all the jokes about it also