Search This Blog

Sunday, May 13, 2018

iDoc- Amnesia and Twins

Being a neurologist I have had my share of patients with post-traumatic (Cranial Trauma) amnesia both ante-grade and retrograde
  I recently read a novel by a well-known Urdu novelist - Razia Butt,  "Main kawn hun" (Who am I)
 She has deftly combined the post-traumatic amnesia and identical twins into her captivating story of suspense in which a small accident results in complete loss of identity and memory of (one twin) before the injury and sudden return of memory toward the end.
 Writers as well as movie-makers have utilized these two things many times  (both Hollywood and Bollywood). Some of you will remember ;
 Ram awr Shyam" beautifully played by Daleep Kumar the contrasting personalities of twin brothers. A female version of that is Seeta awr Geeta where "the hero" is Hema Malini. More recently Hollywood presented similar contrasting personality of sisters in "Pretty Things" (like the contrasting personalities of Razia Butt's story). Then for amnesia, I recall one old movie of  Ronald Coleman that I enjoyed, ''Random Harvest" in which the hero looses his memory and identity lasting for a longer time (to help the story). Another older Bollywood flick was Áfsana' where Ashok Kumar plays the twins and one of them (hero-Ratan) looses memory and identity after a head trauma.
 Something not picked up by writers/movie-makers is epileptic phenomenon (Temporal epilepsy to be more specific)
 Just for adding spice to the topic let me relate one patient story:
 I made a presentation of an epileptic during my residency (Visiting professor was Dr Rassmusen from Canada) a woman who during attack would undress herself (she was brought to our hospital as she had started undressing while riding in a local bus) Her husband would make love to her during such attack as she would ask for it but he could tell the difference of sex when she was not under attack. Of course we had lot of intriguing teaching stories and warnings from the professor on this subject (I do not remember them but there was one of a murder during attack)



Please visit my Urdu blog at خیالات و احساسات

3 comments:

bsc said...

There is one Twins movie I just watched
Kuchh Khattie Kuchh meethie
That as similarities to "Parent Trap"
Also see previous blog of Second marriage/Parent Trap

bsc said...

I just watched a Bollywood flicj somewhat similar to Parent Trap theme
Do Kalian", played well by the twin girl

bsc said...

I wrote about Do Kalian in my note of Jan 26, 2016