Search This Blog

Sunday, January 07, 2018

The ugly '18 beginning

Well, this has been a very hard and unusual week, the first one of this year. Today is just first time I can relax and sit down to tell you what went wrong.  In the last month we had children visiting who advised us and we readily agreed to discontinue cable/spectrum and choose for what our TV and other things like telephone and internet etc. Truly speaking we were both fed up with the Spectrum services so it was a relief indeed . The kids got us a "Sling"and we found it useful enough changed telephone with AT &T, internet and fone  A new modem was established in our home with new connections. The sling  thing (antenna) called Roku  came in and vonage attachments. The kids did all the connections and so far so good but my wife felt the fone should be placed on her öffice"desk so I disconnected the foneline and shifted to the desk place.

That was a disastrous move that we realized only when I wanted my email, HiFi was OK but internet gone and I as a total novis tried all the reconnections checking and trying to follow the instructions but nothing worked, Cold and snow further squeezed us and for two days we could get no help until yesterday our good neighbor came and made all the connections etc. properly taking his time and going very methodically with me trying to understand. Finally got it done . Next, there was a left over problem of our VCR not working and I have not watched any videos or movies for some years now so I thought our equipment has rusted or gotten old etc. So before throwing it away we thought letting him give a try. It turned out it was equipment problem but I had a couple of older VCRs which he connected and it all worked OK so we were quite happy and watched one that my wife was interested in.

That was however not the only thing. I am going to cut short the details now. Last Wed./Thursday we got a call from our (master)Card people they had blocked it. Since card carried my name and telephone was used only by my wife ( for the last five years or more) they would not tell her much and I spoke on the fone to tell them I cannot understand therefore my wife will have to speak. The following day we visited our Banks and found there has been a questionable transaction from Singapore (Less than 100 dollars) but it was right move for the card to block. Yesterday we got new cards (and new number) delivered to us.

Well these were major problems and we thanked The Almighty that it was not truly stolen identity with loss of higher funds. It feels now the rest of the fifty one weeks of this year eighteen will be better and yes we pray for that






2 comments:

bsc said...

Not related but 60 years ago the year of 1958 was similarly gave me lot of troubles but ah well it is all behind me but not quite because some of the effects have left a life long impression on my life

bsc said...

Strictly speaking it was end of 1958 I am talking about not the beginning
But it is more personal type and the effects as I said have been far reaching with lot of it spilling over to 1959 etc