Search This Blog

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Lahore Omnibus

Image result for lahore Omni bus lahore




   I was writing my diary in 1951 when I lived in New Hostel of the Government College (now University) and that is why I remember.
 It was probably August/September or maybe May June when the double-decker buses were first introduced in this service When did the Omnibus service start I am not sure but it was before the Partition. They were more popular and of course eased up or made it  easier to the ordinary (Non-double-decker) buses.
  Yes I did not have a bicycle then and I used this bus service frequently, well as much as I could afford for traveling Usually we would walk and of course the Mall was very near my New Hostel of Government College (now University) starting with Zamzama, Panjab University buildings on one side with a coffee house to  beginning of Anarkali making the famous chauk Crossing. On the other side of Zamzama was Museum of Lahore and next was the famous Tollinton Market where we would sometimes walk to for special shopping. Beginning or end of Anarkali bazar was important even afterwards as I joined KE Medical College  (Now University) and so there was  still everything in our walking distance and the Pak Tea house in that part of Anarkali (Less expensive than the coffee house of the Mall) so it was favourite of us the four or five 'partners'