Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

March 17 and Us

 I have been fascinated by the green color clothing, the Irishness etc. of march 17.
 This is the date of death in the year 461, of the man called St. Patrick. Apparently he was instrumental in spreading the Christian teachings to the Irish peoples. He is supposed to have used Shamrock leaves to make the Trinity concept acceptable to the simple Irish people. Although he was not known to be fond of drinking but the celebrations when Irish tend to exaggerate in this behavior as they undoubtedly have done successfully.
  I believe he was good man and worked for the good of the people. I am fascinated by the spread of the concept of trinity in Europe at such  scale in those days. I do not know much about the pre-Christian state of these peoples which to me indicates they must have been 'very hungry' for worship of true God.
 In addition to the shamrock trifoliate structure the colors adopted by the Irish are also three; Orange, white and green but they are vertical instead of horizontal (Indian flag). I was wondering why Irish flag was reminding me of something familiar--yes it was tirunga jhanda. Of course the meanings given of the two flags and their colors are different but the similarity is interesting.
 Why does drinking alcohol indicate Irishness I have no clue.
You may like to hear something from my owm experience.
 Christmas times, Hospital celebration, (England) I was sitting on a table while everybody else was up dancing. One of my "Irish" patients came to ask me.
 Doctor! why dont you dance?
I dont like dancing (which is the truth).
Come, have beer with me.
 I dont drink.
 OK have a cigarette.
 I dont smoke.
.... What do you do for enjoyment?


Please visit my Urdu blog at http://saugoreebsc.blogspot.com/ and my Hindi blog at http://wahajuana.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

bsc said...

You are welcome Anonymous.
It is amazing what googling can do for you

mystic said...

"What do you do for enjoyment?"

lol

Unknown said...

Dancing, smoking and drinking - there's another trinity...