Search This Blog

Sunday, May 03, 2009

SUNDAY SURKHI--MY FIRST NIGHT IN ENGLAND

Dr. Saeed Ahmed is a very close friend of mine who helped me initiate my "anglicization"
Since I am talking about my first leaving home let me continue.
Believe it or not the first thing I did after settling in my room is went to the pub. That's right my first evening and Saeed , my friend took me to a PUB.
I was hungry and hospital cafeteria was closed so he said let's go to the pub I'll get you a cheese sandwich. Of course his GF was with him. He started telling me all about beer that it is not what you think and that it is healthy etc. etc.
I said, spare me the details and get me some pineapple juice and the sandwich and I'll be happy.

Next day I sat down with him as he wanted to know my opinion about his GF and I told him she is fine. I was no expert but he was serious and wanted to know if it will be OK if he married her. Those days there was a lot of discussion in Pakistan times about "foreign wives", people writing in favor and against giving all the arguments so I started giving him such arguments. Saeed was not accustomed to my way of thinking and knew me as thoroughly as I knew him so I was not surprised when he cut me short abruptly (Very Saeed-like)
"I am in love with her and I am going to marry her"
Well there is not much I could say after that.
Yes he did and had four children mashallah. That is as far as I'll go telling about him. He has been a dear and sincere friend and the last time I met him was in Manchester when he was getting ready to go to Australia and I was getting ready to come to America. He retired as prof. of pediatric urology.

4 comments:

mystic said...

he must be a smart clinician. If he diagnosed woman so quickly I can imagine his clinical skills.

bsc said...

Oh he was smart alright. He was our gen. secretary of college union and I was among others his supporter.
One thing I remember of those days, how he followed our instructions. We were in fourth yr and we needed to get votes from the first yr. class. I asked him to remmeber the names of all the boys who will vote and he did. You should have seen the face of his opponent when he was standing at the door as the boys come out after the vote and Saeed was saying thnak you to all and calling by their names.Myself and my friend Asif were considered "king makers" whoever we supported he was sure to win, we had so effective methodolgy and discipline of campaign.
Those were the days

mystic-soul said...

interesting....

I always envy people who can put names so easily with face....smart people

oakleyses said...

hollister clothing, air max, wedding dress, baseball bats, vans, pandora uk, ralph lauren, moncler, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, supra shoes, ray ban, swarovski jewelry, toms outlet, canada goose pas cher, timberland shoes, converse shoes, ugg, hollister canada, links of london uk, moncler, karen millen, moncler, hollister, nike air max, montre femme, canada goose uk, canada goose, uggs canada, converse, oakley, moncler, moncler, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton canada, coach outlet, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, gucci, replica watches, moncler, parajumpers outlet, lancel, swarovski uk, iphone 6 case, louboutin, thomas sabo uk, canada goose