Search This Blog

Thursday, April 30, 2009

My first Flight out of Pakistan

I thought I may have given some detail before, so I had skippedthis part, but no harm in repetition here.
That morning in Karachi was misty and I thought my "English weather" has already started.
My sister and brother-in-law were there to see me off early in the morning. PIA plane-a 707 jet- started half hour late because of mist.
Our first stop was Tehran. We were not allowed out of the plane only the passengers leaving or coming in were allowed. One passenger (near my seat) was being "questioned" by Iranian immigration, right there (may be he was getting off). The officer looked a the IHC (international health certificate) spoke in a "tahakkumana lehja" sort of making the passenger feel uncomfortable. All he wanted to know "if he had visited any other countries in the last five days" Probably health related question).
Next stop "bairoot" was three hours way but a cousin of mine traveling to London on his way to Washington (PIA engineer going for training) Since he was in first class he took me there offered some cigarettes and showed me the cockpit etc. which made my 3 hrs easy. At bairoot we were offered Coke (this was the first time I had seen the bigger bottle of coke. Pakistan main uss waqt chhoti bottles he milti theen.)
Next stop was Rome. Which reminded me of "Roman Holiday", my most fav. movie and I had fallen in love with Audry Hepburn, she was superb in that (her first) movie.
From Rome to London was another one and a half hours. It was 4 pm in London at the time of landing and there was sunshine, no mist, no clouds. I got some cash from exchange along with coins before leaving airport by bus (five shillings) to Victoria (underground station), where I would take the underground to Liverpool Street station. Those coins-- specially the pennies, my God they were heavy and big. I thought I'll call Saeed, my friend when I get to Enfield in Middlesex.
From Victoria to Liverpool Street by underground (Tube, costing me 11 pence of those days) and then I had to get "surface train". An Englishman was acting as my guide as he realized from my questioning I was new, so he walked with me to the surface train station. Then said, "you can go and get your ticket, I'll see you your luggage".
Like a flash, a thought crossed my mind, he will take the luggage and go (pakistan say niya niya aa raha tha na). Seeing my hesitation he said, " give me the money I'll get you the ticket". While I was still being hesitant, the ticket checker passed by and the gentleman told him "this man wants to go to Enfield, can you guide him please". The Ticket collector said the train is ready to leave I'll give you the ticket on the train." I felt so bad in my heart and then thanked the fellow who helped me.
I got off at the Enfield station and thought of telephoning. Looked at the coins, put four pennies, and dial, the number (which I did not have) so decided not to call, push button "B" out come the coins and I walked to the bus stand (was really tired) and the bus took me to the Chase Farm Hospital and I asked the gatekeeper to call Dr. Ahmad (Saeed Ahmad). He comes in visibly and rightly, I may add, irritated) with his (then girl friend later to be his wife) in his mini and starts at me "Why the hell you did not wire me or tell me when you are coming, I could have come to the Airport and bla, bla bla".
I enjoyed the adventure.

3 comments:

mystic said...

'perds ko rawangi' is the life long remembered event

aadmi kubhi nahi bhulta

bsc said...

yes you said it.
But I had also written down my thoughts purposely on my personal notebook, so details are from that but it is true you dont forget it. I thought I should jot down my first impressions because they will never be experienced again and so when I read it now it amuses me enormously.
Also Saeed's friendship and my initial time with him needs to be recapitulated.

flightsnfare said...

Thanks for giving us an information …. how to find the best Cheapest flights from
london to pakistan flight