Search This Blog

Friday, February 13, 2009

Jumáh Journal- Well-known Hadith

Reported by Anas Bin Malik, (RA) the servant of the prophet (S)
The prophet (S) said,
"None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself"
Recorded in ("Shaikhain") both Muslim and Bukhari therefore it is considered to be definite and true (Sahih) and called "Muttafiqun Alaih"
President Obama mentioned this hadith in the annual National Breakfast prayer during his talk. I think it indicates he has lot of knowledge and not that he learned such things when he was being "Influenced" by his Muslim father or step father or being taught in Schools, or that he has a Muslim background etc.. Such exaggerations that he is an Arab and that he is actually a Muslim was the negative Propganda during his presidential campaign. He was however completely open and truthful that he is Christain and his grnadmother has given all the American and Christain values to him in his upbringing. I may add here that moral teachings of all three Abrahamic religions are essentially the same.
I have been brought up in a Muslim home and only when I took up Arabic as optional subject during my undergrad years I learnt Hadith (a few) and not this one anyway. That is the norm. Children are only given instructions of Qurán, its recitation and may be meanings especailly for the non-Arabic speaking Muslims.
And yet we find that he is being criticised (at least by the right wingers) for such a statement that he is guilty of wooing or pleasing Muslims or whatever else the political punditery can think of. I think it is just plain shameful.
On the pther hand I must (and I think American Muslims ) must encourage the president to continue his efforts of decreasing the gulf between USA (and the West) and 1.25 Billion Muslims of this world, a gulf that has been created by opportunists.
After all, the open-ness of Washington to Muslims has been going on for a couple of decades or longer now:
The opening prayer of Senate sessions performed at least three times by Muslim Leaders including the late Imam Warith D. Muhammad, and Imam Siraj Wahhaj
Iftar parties given during Clinton times (and still continue)
Wishing of the president to the Muslim Americans for Ramadhan and Eid festivals etc.
All these "gestures" are real and leave no doubt in my mind that Muslims are now recognized in USA (not by 9/11). I remember when US army appointed the first Muslim Chaplin who was posted at Fort Bragg in 1994-5 (I lived in Fayetteville then and with the help of local Muslim in the Army we had established Jumah prayers in Fort Bragg in early eighties)
And I have not documented everything in this respect but only highlighted some events.

As such I appeal to all American Muslims to be knowledgeable about Islam (and not just the Imams and Muslim leaders) for we all have a heavy responsibility on our shoulders. I am reminded of a word given to me personally by Dr. Mohammad Muhsin Khan in 1977 (a chance meeting with this erdiudite scholar) that "You are an embassador of Islam in America"