Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Kakkaji--4th and last part

He lived his whole life (with us) as if he is a "servant" but his authority in our family was that of a "Barri boorrhi", and his love was for everybody in the family like that also; he would scold children and love them. Many people of his generation in Saugor would eat a roti with a bulb of onion (roasted in hot ashes) and he would still do it once in a while (in Pakistan) although he had all good things to eat with us. He took pride, or felt satisfaction and purely out of love inserving everybody, never failing. day or night, cold or hot weathter or raining hard, I dont remember he ever swerved from his routine.
First thing he wakes up, wuzu and Fajr Namaz and tilawat-qur'an and would prepare the breakfast. he knew everybodies likings and dislikings. He called my son Hassan by his second name Minhaj (the name of my deceased, younger brother) and he knew whenever we go home from America he would prepare Zarda for him (Hassan called it "yellow rice") . He had his own respect and love in the village and wherever we lived. He could predict exactly what my brother would like at what time.
He would always remind us of what my father or mother would do in such and such situation. Although he was unable to go for Hajj (Despite my requests to go with me) I have performed Umrah and tawafs for him. He only complained of the pains he would suffer sometimes in back or chest (broken rib) and we would give some pain medication. Soon after coming from India in early 1948 he and my father were arrested by "Azad Kashmir" forces that had sprung up in the fight for Kashmir and after three days they were released as there was nothing against them (That is a different and interesting story, why and how it hapened). Although my father was OK but Kakkaji suffered "zad-o-kob" in the hands of the 'sipahis', although he was saying his namaz and reciting Qur'an etc., they considered him Hindu. he always had chest pains during winters following that.

First of Jan. 1994 he fell in the morning while making wuzu but recovered and was not hurt. Did not complain. Bhaijan Meraj's daughter (also a doctor) was home. Next day the same thing happened and he lost pulse, while Anjum tried to unsuccessfully revive him. He is buried alongside my father and mother's graves.
Bhaijan Meraj himself lived only one and a half year after him but when I went after Kakkaji's death I found my brother sad, like I had never seen him before in his life. I went to the grave with him and he said "Chalo kuch phool laylo kakkaji kay liyay" and he was choked. He was visibly in pain and I actually saw tears in his eyes. Bhaijan Meraj was a very strong man with a big big "hoslah" for I remember he was the one doing everything at my father's death. My oldest brother Dr. Siraj was there but had a 'weak heart' and was unable to do much other than sitting with the constant traffic of people coming for T'aziah. He was "paralysed" with grief. And of course I was not much help either.
May Allah bless their souls and reward them all with Jannat-ul-firdaus.
May Allah bless their souls in Jannah.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've really enjoyed your posts about Kakkaji - may Allah give him a high maqaam in Jannah, Inshallah. it sounds like he was a wonderful person, full of love and self-sacrifice, Mashallah.

Anonymous said...

So much grief in this sentence:

"Chalo kuch phool laylo kakkaji kay liyay"

bsc said...

I agree and thanks Tayyaba baitee for following the story.
Mystic as you will recall I was 'inspired ' by the fact that Allah SWT had made women with that kind of love which is so frequently seen and felt by physicians in their practice as you know it so well.
Just recently we all got together to celebrate "Grateful for Ali" day in Virginia and guess who looked after Ali through this ordeal, his sister Shafaq.
We were on our way back Ali driving with his parents going to Fayetteville NC and Shafaq tells my wife on phone, "I miss Ali". She has seen him through all for six months. Of course there are others who participated in that, I am not reducing their share.
Yes Ali has made it, from among the 15% or so who get out (from Fulminating viral Myocarditis) without heart transplant, a success story, a miracle.

chaudharyayaz said...

I am inspired by your writing Kakkaji, and there are always few people around us whom we miss all the time and they left impression on us as well as our personality which we cant fill that. This story also tells same thing. May Allah give him space in Jannat-ul-Firdous...We love to listn more,You know atleast once in a day im used to come and read something it is called inspiration....remembering our mohsin is of great importance and i think thi is way we can pay them back
Regards,
Ayaz