Search This Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Yaum-e-Azadi Mubarak

My fellow Pakistanis
Happy independence day
This picture of the top of our house in "Kotla Arabali Khan" (Dt. Gujrat, Pb) was taken in 2003 Would like you to look at the Chimney-like projection on the 'chhat', called "munder" (Pronounced as mon +day+r) and on its left side a conical projection of some building. Ignore the Minar of the mosque farther away and rest of the buildings.
Now this Munder has history but first the "conical" top of the small building-- is actually "mandar" of our village which has not been used since 1947.(All hindoos left).
I prepared a Pakistan flag with my own hands in August of 1947, calculating how much white part and how much green part , sew them together and then sew the hilal and star combination---all on my own so that I could fly that flag proudly on that day (15th of August 1947). I wish I could get the flag and tie it up on that munder before taking the picture but I do not have the original flag made by Wahaj now.
I know we do it now on 14th but for the first time it was on the 15th of August indeed and I was fasting (Ramadhan). I tied up the flag at 'sahar' time and then untied it for my father who was to speak to the villagers later about Ishraq time.
Kotla Arbali Khan is a small village located just about three miles from the border of Azad Kashmir. It was small then but now it has grown to more than its double triple size.
My father, the late Hakim Maulvi Charaghuddin performed that morning a"ceremony" of 'PERCHAM-KUSHAI', using my proudly prepared percham. He told the Muslims (about 9-10 of the major persons of the village) the importance of Azadi and the importance of safety of the non-Muslim Pakistanis in Pakistan by the Muslims (there were riots all over India). All Hindoos and Sikhs left our village safely taken by the Baloch regiment trucks and I have not forgotten my friend Faqeer Chand sitting in one corner of the truck with a sad face.
Pakistan Paenda Baad. (this is less of a slogan and more of a prayer in my heart)