Search This Blog

Friday, July 11, 2008

Jum'ah Journal-haircut and beard

I know this is not a favorite title for most of you but I may have some interesting information for you, just hear me out please.
I moved into a small village in Punjab about when I was in my Middle School. In my eighth class my teacher, May Allah forgive him and place him in Paradise, was a strict Muslim.
Because he wore a beard he was known as Maulvi saheb and he said he had recieved some teaching from my father who (Allah unki Qabar thandi rakkhay) was actually a deoband graduate (so he had some sort of 'respect' for me.)
Maulvi Saheb felt that boys should have "tind" (meaning that the haircut should be like Yul Brynner or Andre Aggassi or--well these days many young men have clean head shaves anyway). That in Punjabi is called a 'tind'. The reason he gave was that "Angrezi boday" (That was his term for English haircut which is the normal one with closer cut around the ears and nape of the neck and more hair on top) are un-Islamic because of resemblance with the English.
Now, dont misunderstand me. He had many good points and was good teacher and all. He, for instance taught us namaz and post namaz astaghfars and other duaiyah kalimaat etc. but all the Muslim boys (Not the Hindus or Sikhs, I am talking about pre-partition days-- O! I still remember he used to scold my classmate by the name of "Bishamber Das when ever he made a mistake, Maulvi saheb will begin like this ' Oay Bishamber Das tera sattya nas....") in his class must have tind or older boys can have "chhattay ball" (Like you see in all the maulvis and maulanas).
I was in a fix. My family especially my sisters were deadly against 'tind' because I will look ugly, so I could not get my 'tind' but in the school I had no choice but to face the music from Maulvi saheb. He thought my family was "maulvi" so I should have had it from the beginning anyway. He would make me stand in the class and say all kind of things but one I remember:
"cho kufr az k'aba berkhaizad kuja manad musalmani"
(If Kufr starts from the k'aba itself, where would 'Islam' be)
Our barber (saipy naai-- villages have barbers do the job without cash payments but they are paid in money or grain on occasions of the family or the land owners give out grains at the time when grains are ready each year.) had been given instructions not to make my 'tind'
One day when it became impossible for me to face the scolding and humiliations by my teacher I threatened my barber that I'll cut my heair with my own scissors if he does not do it. He liked me and did'nt want me to look too stupid and ugly, so he reluctantly shaved my head and sure, from that day on my days in the school were 'normal' again. As for my sisters they teased me for a while but they soon stopped, they loved me too (and al-hamdulillah they still do, one younger and one older than me. They were the ones who teased me most)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute post...lovely...I felt like in school watching you get scolded by masterji

"Maazi ke dareeche se"

bsc said...

The experiences with "mixed" classes (Hindu, Muslim and Sikh) were quite different especially when time of partition got closer.
Got one more for you today. Not "cute"

Ayesha said...

i only wish you had some pictures abbu :)

oakleyses said...

abercrombie and fitch, ugg boots, mont blanc pens, rolex watches, hollister, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, jimmy choo shoes, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, chi flat iron, herve leger, uggs on sale, celine handbags, north face outlet, nike huarache, ugg outlet, ugg soldes, birkin bag, new balance outlet, lululemon outlet, p90x workout, wedding dresses, asics shoes, roshe run, canada goose outlet, longchamp, ugg, valentino shoes, vans outlet, marc jacobs outlet, bottega veneta, north face jackets, canada goose outlet, nfl jerseys, ghd, canada goose, mac cosmetics, babyliss pro, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, giuseppe zanotti, beats headphones, soccer shoes, nike trainers, reebok shoes

oakleyses said...

hollister clothing, air max, wedding dress, baseball bats, vans, pandora uk, ralph lauren, moncler, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, supra shoes, ray ban, swarovski jewelry, toms outlet, canada goose pas cher, timberland shoes, converse shoes, ugg, hollister canada, links of london uk, moncler, karen millen, moncler, hollister, nike air max, montre femme, canada goose uk, canada goose, uggs canada, converse, oakley, moncler, moncler, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton canada, coach outlet, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, gucci, replica watches, moncler, parajumpers outlet, lancel, swarovski uk, iphone 6 case, louboutin, thomas sabo uk, canada goose