Search This Blog

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Sunday Surkhi-Islam and dancing

I am sorry some of the readers of these lines may dislike it but I must say something. Please dont scold me, just call me ignorant. Today's CNN posted "Imam Barri" of R'Pindi-Islamabad area in the news. The title was suggesting, "Islamic religious festival of dancing for five days" (asking for figiveness by dancing as much as possible, we are told). When I lived in Pakistan ("44 to '61) I was not given to Imams and dergahs and khanqahs. I may have visited Maila chiraghan during my Lahore stay (for fun only) and only thing I visited for some times was"Data's derbar" (Syed Ali Hijweri's Khanqah) for dua, the last time was so many years ago I dont remember what dua was it that I wanted from Allah SWT for myself. No, I am not "wahabi" and have strong ideas against his(Muhammad Ibn Wahab) teachings. I grew up in a home of simple Islam even though my father was a 'graduate' of ( yr. 1900) Deoband. He had never sat down with children to discuss or teach "Islam", for whatever reason (he rarely had time for these things). So I never developed an understanding of Pir-Murid or Sufi type of Islam. O! I did visit several khanqahs and sat with knees folded in the company of some pirs, showing my respect, never asked any question etc. and never learnt anything. I thought of such "pirs" are "future occupants" of some khanqah or dergah shareef. Of course I had heard all kinds of stories about Imam Barri's "festival". Most Muslims of India and Pakistan and Bangla Desh know of Ajmer shareef (I wonder why people dont call it Lahore shareef) and I have no idea who he was and what he taught. I do have some knowledge about "Hijweri" and have read one of his books (Kashf-ul-Mahjoob), but know nothing about Imam Barri. In fact listening to the "N'arah" of Imam Barri I always thought it was some kind of local Mailah(festival?) and never gave "religious" meaning to it. The other dance I know of is that of "the whirling Darwish", about which you may know more but again I never gave it any more thought than of many persons who I have seen in my childhood in my village life going into "wajd" on hearing some great "n'at or n'atia qawwali" and I was confused about the real reason of "wajd" whether it was "hubb-e-Rasool" (SAWS) or the drum beat. (The Imam Barri dance festival is of course associated with that famous punjabi dhol). I am evidently not fond of dancing, even if "religious" and I am quite sure that I have never come across 'dancing' as part of religious ritual in Islam, though many other religions in the world have promoted it. In Islam, Salat and Hajj are "physical" but hardly call it 'dance' even the "ramal" of circumambulation, and rushing between "malain akhdharain". You have already guessed from my writing that I am somewhat skeptical and totally ignorant of these aspects of Islamic culture (I dont know what else to call it so forgive me, but I cant call it part of Islamic religion). Alhamdulillah I am a simple Muslim.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not against dancing but in my view its more cultural than anything religious.

You may put flavour of religion, mysticismor spritualism in dance but can't call it religious.

bsc said...

Right.
The West looks at these cultural things as "Islamic" and then sometimes I am amazed at the comment being "cultural" whereas they are actually talking about the religion.

oakleyses said...

abercrombie and fitch, ugg boots, mont blanc pens, rolex watches, hollister, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, jimmy choo shoes, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, chi flat iron, herve leger, uggs on sale, celine handbags, north face outlet, nike huarache, ugg outlet, ugg soldes, birkin bag, new balance outlet, lululemon outlet, p90x workout, wedding dresses, asics shoes, roshe run, canada goose outlet, longchamp, ugg, valentino shoes, vans outlet, marc jacobs outlet, bottega veneta, north face jackets, canada goose outlet, nfl jerseys, ghd, canada goose, mac cosmetics, babyliss pro, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, giuseppe zanotti, beats headphones, soccer shoes, nike trainers, reebok shoes

oakleyses said...

hollister, wedding dress, toms outlet, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, louis vuitton canada, canada goose, hollister clothing, swarovski uk, ralph lauren, karen millen, ugg, hollister canada, juicy couture outlet, gucci, moncler outlet, canada goose pas cher, air max, coach outlet, louboutin, canada goose uk, converse shoes, pandora uk, supra shoes, converse, swarovski jewelry, moncler, timberland shoes, lancel, replica watches, baseball bats, parajumpers outlet, nike air max, thomas sabo uk, links of london uk, canada goose, uggs canada, moncler, oakley, vans, moncler, iphone 6 case, ray ban, moncler, moncler, pandora jewelry, montre femme, moncler

5689 said...

zzzzz2018.11.26
canada goose outlet
moncler outlet
canada goose jackets
ralph lauren uk
air max 90
coach handbags
salomon shoes
coach outlet
hermes belt
christian louboutin