Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Brown or something like that.

My friend, "Zindagi ki diary" sometimes inspires me.
She was popular with everybody in the hospital and I could see why!!
She always wore an infectious smile on her face. She was in fact "thirty something" and was very regular in my outpatients. A youngman younger in age than her would roll her wheelchair to bring her (was an attractive fellow). It was nothing un-usual that I was also'kind' to her (everybody else was).
She had two very disabling diseases that had left her unable to walk and unable to see and in addition had borderline-normal kidney function.
At that age every woman's wish to become a mother is strong and I noticed the relationship of the youngman with her till one day they told me they are getting married. I was very happy and continued to look after her as before in my O.P. (outpatient).
One day she was admitted in the hospital under my care, as she was very sick. I worked very hard for her and she had developed complications of both diseases which were devastating to say the least. I had my pulmonary and cardiac colleagues helping me to control those deadly complications and the way she tolerated her fever and all, showed her stoic and courageous personality and on top of that she maintained her smiling attitude throughout except when fever was high. She had already won my (and everybody else's) heart including all the nurses who looked after her.
Later, with God's Grace she did get better and was followed in my O.P. as before. When her kidney function (that had suffered more during this hospitalization of six+ weeks) showed some improvement I talked with her about whether she wants to have a child. Needless to say that pregnancy would be a dangerous undertaking for her so both she and her husband agreed to take the risk.
If ever I have wished any of my patient in my life to have a baby that was the one.
She concieved and I told her to consult the best Ob-Gyn person in town but she lost the baby in the first trimester. I still encouraged them not to be despondent. (She was still smiling, mind you). One day she told me about her pregnancy and I was happy. Next, after some time she brought her baby and gave me the baby's picture.
I treasure that picture very much (along with other memorablia of my days of medical practice)
Her name was some color, like "brown or something like that" I would not give you the real color for obvious reasons.