Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Hippocratic Oath is NOT Hipocracy

The state and NC medical board are daggers drawn.
Board wants to punish a physician who witnesses or participates in death of a person (Like in the capital punishment he may be asked to provide lethal injection or whatever.)

I wish to take the liberty of quoting part of Hipocratic oath that the physicians take at the time of embarking upon their noble profession
"...I will use that regimen which according to my ability and judgement shall be for the welfare of the sick and I WILL REFRAIN FROM THAT WHICH SHALL BE BANEFUL AND INJURIOUS, IF ANY SHALL ASK OF ME A DRUG TO PRODUCE DEATH, I SHALL NOT GIVE IT....."

"KUWAIT DOCUMENT" (Islamic code of medical ethics, page 742 in the "Bulletin of Islamic Medicine", Vol. 1 section 6) has the following to say
"The medical profession will not permit its technical scientific or other resources to be utilized in any wau to harm, destroy or inflict upon man, physical, psychological or moral or other damage regardless of all political or military considerations."

(It is evident I am not supportive of Dr. Kwarkiyan's assisted suicide technique)

No comments: