Search This Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Veterans Day thoughts of a non-veteran

When retiring from the vet. Hospital four years ago, I had several 'thoughts' which were never gotten out in the open, so now here it is.
Once again I state clearly and unambiguously, I was proud to 'serve' those who served the nation. And I join the nation in the salute for them today.
I feel it was a unique opportunity for me to work in the Vet. hospital where I experienced the relationship with those patients who were generally less priviledged, less well-to-do (not all) and comprising special component of the American society and my patients ranged from as high a rank as a 'general' to the lowest rank of an ordinary soldier. Majority were genuinely dependent and thankful to the healthcare they were being offered although some indeed overusing and even 'ab-using' that priviledge. I, personally, was never put off by those 'demanding' type of veterans. (Yes I have criticisms of patients and of administration)
There were courageous, medal winners and all, seeking healthcare with us even if they had enough insurance to cover 'private' healthcare. I openly and unhesitatingly advised them to use private care if and when I thought it was in their best interest (I cant call it completely unethical).
In general I admired the veterans as such and despite all my criticisms of the quality of care being delivered to them, I am of the opinion that the Veterans Affairs Hospitals and such related institutions do have an important part to play which they are doing to their best (may not be the best by some standards) to maintain. (Not giving much thought to the media coverage of the Walter-Reed Hospital, for I think it is a good institution)
As a physician I enjoyed the respect given to me by my colleagues and coworkers along with the patients. During my residency, I rmember, when I rotated in VA hospital I found my teacher addessing the patients as 'sir', which I learnt later why it was so and I had already taken up that habit anyway.
Yes it is true the Veterans who were in the army once just 'did their job' but they indeed put their 'neck on the line', got maimed and mutilated, lost an eye or an ear or some body-part in the battle or just lost the psychological make-up and so on. So if we give them 'free healthcare' are we really doing them a favor? or perhapse trying to 'give back' something in compensation. This is very hard to balance. I being a non-veteran cannot really be a good judge.
I shall reserve my comments for the next Vet. day insha-Allah, about my relation ship with PVA (Paralysed Veterans of America) and my experience in looking after their interests along with other colleagues who I have a great admiration for.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think we americans failed to give due respect and in this regard health-care coverage to veterans of this country. They deserve way better.

Its heart breaking to see VA hospitals manytimesnot different from any poorly run public hospital.

bsc said...

Yes, but they are still worth the money and I will talk about it next year
I have been inspired by your story of "akhri safah"
Not as nice (mine) but will venture upon it sometimes soon I called them
"My mouth-spoken sisters"

oakleyses said...

burberry outlet online, christian louboutin outlet, oakley vault, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet online, kate spade handbags, burberry outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton handbags, nike free, tiffany jewelry, kate spade outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, red bottom shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet online, polo ralph lauren, christian louboutin shoes, prada outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet store, michael kors outlet, gucci handbags, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, longchamp outlet, nike air max, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, polo ralph lauren outlet, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, coach outlet store online, jordan shoes, coach outlet, chanel handbags, coach purses, nike shoes, oakley sunglasses, true religion, ray ban outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet, longchamp handbags

oakleyses said...

abercrombie and fitch, ugg boots, mont blanc pens, rolex watches, hollister, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, jimmy choo shoes, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, chi flat iron, herve leger, uggs on sale, celine handbags, north face outlet, nike huarache, ugg outlet, ugg soldes, birkin bag, new balance outlet, lululemon outlet, p90x workout, wedding dresses, asics shoes, roshe run, canada goose outlet, longchamp, ugg, valentino shoes, vans outlet, marc jacobs outlet, bottega veneta, north face jackets, canada goose outlet, nfl jerseys, ghd, canada goose, mac cosmetics, babyliss pro, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, giuseppe zanotti, beats headphones, soccer shoes, nike trainers, reebok shoes

oakleyses said...

hollister clothing, air max, wedding dress, baseball bats, vans, pandora uk, ralph lauren, moncler, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, supra shoes, ray ban, swarovski jewelry, toms outlet, canada goose pas cher, timberland shoes, converse shoes, ugg, hollister canada, links of london uk, moncler, karen millen, moncler, hollister, nike air max, montre femme, canada goose uk, canada goose, uggs canada, converse, oakley, moncler, moncler, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton canada, coach outlet, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, gucci, replica watches, moncler, parajumpers outlet, lancel, swarovski uk, iphone 6 case, louboutin, thomas sabo uk, canada goose