Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Travel Options

My first leg of travel was to London. Nothing unusual, I have been there many times. I wanted to 'roam' around so I thought it 'll be cool to get a car. Have done that before but more recent experience has been they are prohibitively expensive so I found out it was cheaper to book it on line-that's exactly what I did. A cool 17 pounds something per day (About35 dollars or so) and I got on the bus from the airport to go to the "thrifty" car hire people
That it was going to be a unique experience, I had not anticipated at all. A youngman sitting across the counter (appeared Asian which does not necessarily excite me any more) asked my name etc. and looked at the computer for a while and sitting back started telling me
"Sir, you have three options", in perfect British accent. "What are they?" I enqured.
"Sir you need to get an Insurance." Perfectly logical, a thought that had slipped my mind, so I agreed and he announced,
"That would cost about 19 pounds something/day". I was displeased at the expense but with a slight hesitation I agreed. I thought that this was not so bad after all
Then there was the second option. I thought I had chosen a good option out of three, now what?
So he started expalining that I am over 70 and therefore the insurance surcharge will be 10 pounds a day more.
Now I could not resist expressing my displeasure. That is not an "Option" I said I cannot reduce my age no matter how young I to look and no matter how "undemented" I appear to be. He insisted this was an option and still wanted me to understand that I cant hire the car unless I paid the extra penulty of being over 70 in age.
I started thinking about the thrifty business and how I started from 18 pounds and adding 30 pounds more perday totalling close to a hundred dollars a day. Is it thrifty?
Did I have that kind of money? It was evident that I was trapped and so I thought there was no option for me but to agree.
Then came the third "Option" which took me completely off the ground but I was not frothing at the mouth. I had to have Insurance on my MasterCharge Card. Never heard of it before. He said' "Since you are a foriegner and the card must be covered with an insurance in case something happens to the car or you"
I tried to argue that the insurance coverage of 30 pounds a day is enough to cover for the car but he kept on with that third 'option'
To cut the story short, I asked"Is there an option of cancelling my car?"
He was hesitant and said he will inquire from his boss (another Asian-looking) who then came to explain to me the same thing. How could I tell him I have treated senile and other types of demntias in my life and am clean and healthy in my "upper story". They must have thought I am an old man from India with a white beard etc. and unable to undertand English. All this while I had told them I cannot hear very good but I had no problem hearing about the "Options".
I said these are not "Options" in my language of English that I had learnt.
"It will cost you 25 pounds to cancel."
I had a sigh of relief and got out of the office as quickly as I could, lest some other "option" may come my way.

6 comments:

Ayesha said...

funny :) but i can't believe the insurance costs more than the car rental price!! that's crazy!

JAG said...

heh...you should have told him, "Sorry I don't want any of your options, I already have an option - of going to a different car rental company."

chaudharyayaz said...

I would like to write more about ur study as it seems that u are the only old friend left who studied from Kakrali Shool,,,and if u can tell me the exact dates of ur education, i could tell u details about ur classfellow...moroever i can also send the current pictures of village as i cant sleep in Islamabad if i dont go to village .after every week......regards

oakleyses said...

burberry outlet online, christian louboutin outlet, oakley vault, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet online, kate spade handbags, burberry outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton handbags, nike free, tiffany jewelry, kate spade outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, red bottom shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet online, polo ralph lauren, christian louboutin shoes, prada outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet store, michael kors outlet, gucci handbags, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, longchamp outlet, nike air max, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, polo ralph lauren outlet, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, coach outlet store online, jordan shoes, coach outlet, chanel handbags, coach purses, nike shoes, oakley sunglasses, true religion, ray ban outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet, longchamp handbags

oakleyses said...

abercrombie and fitch, ugg boots, mont blanc pens, rolex watches, hollister, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, jimmy choo shoes, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, chi flat iron, herve leger, uggs on sale, celine handbags, north face outlet, nike huarache, ugg outlet, ugg soldes, birkin bag, new balance outlet, lululemon outlet, p90x workout, wedding dresses, asics shoes, roshe run, canada goose outlet, longchamp, ugg, valentino shoes, vans outlet, marc jacobs outlet, bottega veneta, north face jackets, canada goose outlet, nfl jerseys, ghd, canada goose, mac cosmetics, babyliss pro, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, giuseppe zanotti, beats headphones, soccer shoes, nike trainers, reebok shoes

oakleyses said...

hollister clothing, air max, wedding dress, baseball bats, vans, pandora uk, ralph lauren, moncler, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, supra shoes, ray ban, swarovski jewelry, toms outlet, canada goose pas cher, timberland shoes, converse shoes, ugg, hollister canada, links of london uk, moncler, karen millen, moncler, hollister, nike air max, montre femme, canada goose uk, canada goose, uggs canada, converse, oakley, moncler, moncler, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton canada, coach outlet, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, gucci, replica watches, moncler, parajumpers outlet, lancel, swarovski uk, iphone 6 case, louboutin, thomas sabo uk, canada goose